Wednesday, April 01, 2015

Easter Cupcakes with Aldi


Today I am sharing my baking experience using all Aldi Ingredients to make some Easter cupcakes.

I love Aldi for some bargains and I am pretty sure if you was to purchase all the items elsewhere they would be more pricey, everything here was purchased with a £10 note and I had a few pennies left over. Woop woop!

On the community recipe section of Nigella's website I found a Lemon cupcake recipe which was easy to follow and I found they did not take long to prepare and bake. Here is the recipe below and my cupcake baking in pictures 

Ingredients

for the lemon cupcake sponge

  • 100 grams unsalted butter soften for 10 seconds in the microwave
  • 100 grams self-raising flour sift for maximum smoothness
  • 100 grams golden caster sugar superfine is best
  • zest of lemons or (see below)
  • teaspoons lemon juice or (see above)
  • medium eggs
  • teaspoon baking powder (optional)

for the lemon frosting

  • 75 grams unsalted butter soften in the microwave
  • 175 grams icing sugar sifted
  • teaspoons lemon juice
  • zest of lemons

Method

  1. Preheat the oven to 180ÂșC or gas mark 6.
  2. In a clean mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar together with a wooden spoon or electric mixer - they must be very light and fluffy. Mix in the lemon zest or lemon juice.
  3. Gradually add the eggs, one by one. Alternitavely you can whisk them in a bowl and add them a little at a time - this often works a little better as it prevents any eggshell getting in the mix.
  4. Carefully fold in the flour (and baking powder, if you're using it).
  5. Place as many paper cupcake cases as you need into the baking tray and fill each one with about 1½ tablespoons of cupcake mixture.
  6. Bake in the oven for 10 - 20 minutes. After 10 minutes, check to see if the lemon cupcakes are ready by inserting a cocktail stick into one of the cupcakes. If it comes out dry then the cupcakes are done. If not, then back in the oven for a few minutes more. Don't overcook the cupcakes otherwise they will dry out. Lift the lemon cupcakes out of the muffin tin and leave to cool on a wire rack.

These Mini Eggs may not be Cadbury but they are just as tasty without the label
Anyone else love the left over cakemix from the bowl and mixer? ( I obviously remove the whisk and turn off the power first..)  It is my favorite part of baking plus it is always good to test whether it is sweet enough right? 
I followed the recipe to this stage however when it came to decorating the cakes I decided to use Aldi's Vanilla Frosting in a tub, using a teaspoon I applied the icing which was quick and easy to do. I then used a grater to create chocolate flakes to decorate the cupcakes. 
I then sprinkled the  chocolate drops and balls from the toppings tub, added a few chocolate eggs and chocolate bunnies to finish off the cupcakes. 
And we are done! 

This post is not sponsored 
Share:

2 comments

  1. Hi! I've nominated you for the Liebster Award! Read about it on my blog here ;)
    http://martinadenegri.blogspot.com.ar/2015/04/the-liebster-award.html
    xx, martina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww Thank you Martina :) That is very kind of you. I will have a read of your blog :)

    xx

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to hearing from you!

© HelloScally | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig