Tuesday, April 14, 2015

My New Blogging Buddy


Hello guys and gals!
I have recently bought myself a new little camera to replace my Samsung WB30 Smart Camera for quick snap shots. I wanted to upgrade due to the Video only being 720p and 10x zoom which just wasn't good enough for my needs. It is a lovely little camera but I just wanted something a little more powerful. 

Samsung Smart Camera WB30 Shown above
This is a Panasonic Lumix TZ55, the functionality of the camera is simple with a mode dial on the top, a feature that I missed with my other camera. The Samsung had a more modern 'app' mode look to the functions, designed to be in-fitting with modern devices such as smart phone tablets. This is a feature that would win over younger generations and modern feature lovers. For me I like to have buttons and physical functions, dials to turn or it just doesn't feel like a camera. This feature makes it quicker to get the mode you want quickly too. Inbuilt functions in the software takes longer to get up which to me isn't ideal for getting a photograph quick on the move. By the time you got the mode you need that photo opportunity may have gone by. So this was a key feature for me.
The 3 inch tilting 180 degree screen is another feature which appealed to me when looking for a new camera. It is great for taking 'selfies' as well as being able to view from a different angle, for example, if I'm using a tripod depending on what I'm shooting I like to view what I'm shooting from above. It is just a shame the screen doesn't twist to protect the screen from damage. The tilting screen would be ideal for Vlogging too!
The look of the interface (menu) for the features on the camera are not to be desired. It could look more aesthetically pleasing like other smart cameras on the market, as it is a little backwards in design to what I had with the Samsung. Despite the WIFI  feature being a little basic, for example you cannot upload straight to social media, You can use the QR code method, Which helps connect devices over WIFI and once that step is done you good to go. All you have to do is download the Panasonic Image App.
You can also remotely control your camera with your phone, a feature that I have not used, but would be ideal for blog shots of yourself and want to ensure that your picture is in focus and the lighting is just right. It is just a shame that it doesn't have inbuilt applications such as a Facebook direct feature for those who may want to share to their family and friends directly. I tend to upload them to Instagram or Twitter after transferring them using the Panasonic Image App so Direct Facebook upload is not an issue for me. My previous camera had this feature, but I found that it compressed the images even through the mobile app connection and that is not good for blogging on my phone or tablet. Yes, you heard me right,  I do sometimes blog on my phone. If I take a photograph on my phone I can upload them to blogger and save the post as a draft. When it comes to editing the post later on, whether that is on my laptop or tablet, I find it makes the process much quicker than emailing photographs from my phone. 
I have found in the time I have had this camera that the pictures do transfer from the camera to your mobile device pretty quickly. There is nothing worse when you have a busy day and you just want to get your images where you need them quickly. 
The overall weight and feel of the camera is just right for a super zoom compact. It feels well made and sturdy, the flip screen has a strong hinge which can be a concern for some when it comes to Multi-angle screens but this is very sturdy. 
I have put together some pro's and cons of this camera to break it down.

Advantages 

# 180 degree tilting screen
# Quick WIFI transfer
# Well made- Some cameras have a cheap plastic housing, but this durable, robust and has a good weight to it. 
# 20x optical Zoom with 24mm Ultra Wide-angle Lens- 35mm Camera equivalent: 24-480mm
# 16- Megapixel High sensitivity MOS Sensor- Great in low light conditions with the noise reduction system. 
# Simple and quick mode dial 
# 10 fps in high speed burst mode with mechanical shutter. 
# Filter effects for photos built in 
# Remote shooting mode- Can control focus, exposure, zoom with a smart phone or tablet
# 1080p HD Video 

Disadvantages 

# No RAW image setting- JPEG only. However, for a compact and for taking quick shots, the image quality is fine.
# No inbuilt feature for social media or cloud storage direct through WIFI

Although there are a few  things that would make the camera better, bearing in mind it was little more pricey than my previous WIFI camera, It does everything that I need it to. The functionality of the camera is spot on for me.I purchased this to take pictures quick, pictures for my blog on the go and to possibly be used for vlogging out and about. Carrying a DSLR in your handbag is not always convenient and can be bulky. I have had this camera for just over a month, and I couldn't be more happy with it. 

I will try and insert some pictures that I have taken with this camera for my blog/ social media, so you can take a look for yourself. You may be able to compare from the Photographs used above in this post. 
This is the first time I tried taking a 'selfie' with this camera (excuse the mess I was tidying at the time) 
Test shot of low light conditions whilst watching House.MD one night.

 Let me know what you think. What camera do you have for quick snap shots? 
Until next time! xox
Share:

2 comments

  1. This looks great! I was recently gifted a DSLR and I absolutely love it - I think taking really good pictures is really important when it comes to blogging and your pictures are super nice.
    Most of the bloggers I follow use the same camera (Canon 600D) but I think there are cheaper alternatives that are just as good (like this one!) xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karan, it is a great little camera to pop in your handbag. I also have a Canon 600D which I could not live without, especially for my blog pictures :)
      XxX

      Delete

I look forward to hearing from you!

© HelloScally | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig